Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication

From: Cuong Hoang <climbingrose(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication
Date: 2013-05-17 00:21:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Tomas,

We have a lot of small updates and some inserts. The database size is at
35GB including indexes and TOAST. We think it will keep growing to about
200GB. We usually have a burst of about 500k writes in about 5-10 minutes
which basically cripples IO on the current servers. I've tried to increase
the checkpoint_segments, checkpoint_timeout etc. as recommended in
"PostgreSQL 9.0 Performance" book. However, it seems like our server just
couldn't handle the current load.

Here is the server specs:

Dual E5620, 32GB RAM, 4x1TB SAS 15k in RAID10

Here are some core PostgreSQL configs:

shared_buffers = 2GB # min 128kB
work_mem = 64MB # min 64kB
maintenance_work_mem = 1GB # min 1MB