Re: doc: clarify the limitation for logical replication when REPILICA IDENTITY is FULL

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: doc: clarify the limitation for logical replication when REPILICA IDENTITY is FULL
Date: 2023-07-15 04:10:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 2:15 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> > > I think it's appropriate to add on the restrictions page. (But mentioning that this
> > restriction is only for subscriber)
> > >
> > > If the list were larger, then the restrictions page could be divided into publisher
> > and subscriber restrictions. But not for one very specific restriction.
> > >

> > Okay, how about something like: "The UPDATE and DELETE operations
> > cannot be applied on the subscriber for the published tables that
> > specify REPLICA IDENTITY FULL when the table has attributes with
> > datatypes (e.g point or box) that don't have a default operator class
> > for Btree or Hash. This won't be a problem if the table has a primary
> > key or replica identity defined for it."?
>
> Thanks for discussing and giving suggestions. But it seems that the first
> sentence is difficult to read for me. How about attached?

The last line seems repetitive to me. So, I have removed it. Apart
from that patch looks good to me. Sergie, Peter, and others, any
thoughts?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Doc-Update-the-logical-replication-restriction-w..patch application/octet-stream 1.6 KB