Re: Make default subscription streaming option as Parallel

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-10-23 03:52:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 23, 2024 at 5:58 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Vignesh, here are some review comments for the patch v5-0001 (docs only).
>
> ======
> Commit message
>
> 1.
> The commit message only refers to this as the "streaming option", but
> an option of what? Somewhere we should mention this is an option of
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.

I think we can change the first line to: "Previously the default value
of streaming option for a subscription was 'off'...."

> ======
> doc/src/sgml/ref/create_subscription.sgml
>
> 3.
> <para>
> Specifies whether to enable streaming of in-progress transactions
> - for this subscription. The default value is <literal>off</literal>,
> - meaning all transactions are fully decoded on the publisher and only
> - then sent to the subscriber as a whole.
> + for this subscription. The default value is
> <literal>parallel</literal>,
> + meaning incoming changes are directly applied via one of the parallel
> + apply workers, if available. If no parallel apply worker is free to
> + handle streaming transactions then the changes are written to
> + temporary files and applied after the transaction is committed. Note
> + that if an error happens in a parallel apply worker, the finish LSN
> + of the remote transaction might not be reported in the server log.
> </para>
>
> The other enum values have separate paragraphs:
> - "If set to 'on'" and
> - "If set to 'off'"
>
> I felt the 'parallel' value description should have this same style --
> e.g. a separate paragraph saying:
> - "If set to 'parallel' (the default value)...".
>
> IMO, doing this makes the 3 available enum values much clearer.

The currently proposed way is better as it maintains the description
flow. With your proposal, there is some repetition and it is not
making things significantly better. This is a matter of opinion, so I
leave it to others to see if they have any opinions.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.