Re: Enhancing Memory Context Statistics Reporting

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancing Memory Context Statistics Reporting
Date: 2024-10-23 03:58:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-10-22 03:24, Rahila Syed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PostgreSQL provides following capabilities for reporting memory
> contexts statistics.
> 1. pg_get_backend_memory_contexts(); [1]
> 2. pg_log_backend_memory_contexts(pid); [2]
>
> [1] provides a view of memory context statistics for a local backend,
> while [2] prints the memory context statistics of any backend or
> auxiliary
> process to the PostgreSQL logs. Although [1] offers detailed
> statistics,
> it is limited to the local backend, restricting its use to PostgreSQL
> client backends only.
> On the other hand, [2] provides the statistics for all backends but
> logs them in a file,
> which may not be convenient for quick access.
>
> I propose enhancing memory context statistics reporting by combining
> these
> capabilities and offering a view of memory statistics for all
> PostgreSQL backends
> and auxiliary processes.

Thanks for working on this!

I originally tried to develop something like your proposal in [2], but
there were some difficulties and settled down to implement
pg_log_backend_memory_contexts().

> Attached is a patch that implements this functionality. It introduces
> a SQL function
> that takes the PID of a backend as an argument, returning a set of
> records,
> each containing statistics for a single memory context. The underlying
> C function
> sends a signal to the backend and waits for it to publish its memory
> context statistics
> before returning them to the user. The publishing backend copies
> these statistics
> during the next CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS call.

I remember waiting for dumping memory contexts stats could cause trouble
considering some erroneous cases.

For example, just after the target process finished dumping stats,
pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts() caller is terminated before
reading the stats, calling pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts() has
no response any more:

[session1]$ psql
(40699)=#

$ kill -s SIGSTOP 40699

[session2] psql
(40866)=# select * FROM
pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts('40699', false); -- waiting

$ kill -s SIGSTOP 40866

$ kill -s SIGCONT 40699

[session3] psql
(47656) $ select pg_terminate_backend(40866);

$ kill -s SIGCONT 40866 -- session2 terminated

[session3] (47656)=# select * FROM
pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts('47656', false); -- no response

It seems the reason is memCtxState->in_use is now and
memCtxState->proc_id is 40699.
We can continue to use pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts() after
specifying 40699, but it'd be hard to understand for users.

> [...]
> statistics
> can be discarded once read by the client backend.
>
> A fixed-size shared memory block, currently accommodating 30 records,
> is used to store the statistics. This number was chosen arbitrarily,
> as it covers all parent contexts at level 1 (i.e., direct children of
> the top memory context)
> based on my tests.
> Further experiments are needed to determine the optimal number
> for summarizing memory statistics.
>
> Any additional statistics that exceed the shared memory capacity
> are written to a file per backend in the PG_TEMP_FILES_DIR. The client
> backend
> first reads from the shared memory, and if necessary, retrieves the
> remaining data from the file,
> combining everything into a unified view. The files are cleaned up
> automatically
> if a backend crashes or during server restarts.
>
> The statistics are reported in a breadth-first search order of the
> memory context tree,
> with parent contexts reported before their children. This provides a
> cumulative summary
> before diving into the details of each child context's consumption.
>
> The rationale behind the shared memory chunk is to ensure that the
> majority of contexts which are the direct children of
> TopMemoryContext,
> fit into memory
> This allows a client to request a summary of memory statistics,
> which can be served from memory without the overhead of file access,
> unless necessary.
>
> A publishing backend signals waiting client backends using a condition
>
> variable when it has finished writing its statistics to memory.
> The client backend checks whether the statistics belong to the
> requested backend.
> If not, it continues waiting on the condition variable, timing out
> after 2 minutes.
> This timeout is an arbitrary choice, and further work is required to
> determine
> a more practical value.
>
> All backends use the same memory space to publish their statistics.
> Before publishing, a backend checks whether the previous statistics
> have been
> successfully read by a client using a shared flag, "in_use."
> This flag is set by the publishing backend and cleared by the client
> backend once the data is read. If a backend cannot publish due to
> shared
> memory being occupied, it exits the interrupt processing code,
> and the client backend times out with a warning.
>
> Please find below an example query to fetch memory contexts from the
> backend
> with id '106114'. Second argument -'get_summary' is 'false',
> indicating a request for statistics of all the contexts.
>
> postgres=#
> select * FROM pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts('116292', false)

32d3ed8165f821f introduced 1-based path to pg_backend_memory_contexts,
but pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts() seems to have 0-base path.

pg_backend_memory_contexts has "level" column, but
pg_get_remote_backend_memory_contexts doesn't.

Are there any reasons for these?

--
Regards,

--
Atsushi Torikoshi
Seconded from NTT DATA GROUP CORPORATION to SRA OSS K.K.