Is it normal to have too many idle processes in postgresql cluster?

From: Abdul Qoyyuum <aqoyyuum(at)cardaccess(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is it normal to have too many idle processes in postgresql cluster?
Date: 2021-03-08 01:34:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all, I have a database cluster running Postgresql 9.6 on RHEL 6 servers.
I've noticed a lot of idle processes in the master database as opposed to
the slave database and from the looks of pg_activity, they're all idle
statements like "SELECT 1". Forums and StackOverflow seems to suggest its
nothing to worry about but

[user(at)db1(dot)pr ~]$ ps -ef | grep postgres | grep idle | wc -l
213

Seems to get me worried. Should I be worried? Is this normal? If not, what
should I do?
--
Abdul Qoyyuum Bin Haji Abdul Kadir
HP No: +673 720 8043