Re: Is it normal to have too many idle processes in postgresql cluster?

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Abdul Qoyyuum <aqoyyuum(at)cardaccess(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it normal to have too many idle processes in postgresql cluster?
Date: 2021-03-08 01:46:50
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Mar 7, 2021, at 17:34, Abdul Qoyyuum <aqoyyuum(at)cardaccess(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> Seems to get me worried. Should I be worried? Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

It's normal. Every connected client has an associated backend process, even if the client isn't doing anything. That's what the "idle" state means. You can consider using a pooler such as pgbouncer to reduce the number of connections the clients have open, although 200 open connections is nothing concerning.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com