Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password

From: ramsiddu007 <ramsiddu007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: M Sarwar <sarwarmd02(at)outlook(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password
Date: 2023-10-21 15:24:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey Sarwar,

Thanks for reaching out. If you want to schedule a job from your
*Windows *laptop
without entering the password, you can use the *pgpass.conf* file. This
file allows you to manage passwords for PostgreSQL connections.

Here's how you can do it:

1. Open the *pgpass.conf* file in a text editor.

2. Add a new line in the format: *hostname:port:database:username:password
or **hostname:port:*:username:password*

3. Save the file.

After setting up the* pgpass.conf* file (like
*C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\postgresql\pgpass.conf*), you
should be able to schedule the job without entering the password.

Thank you!

*Best Regards:*
Ramanna Gunde

*Don't complain about the HEAT, **PLANT A Tree*