Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need to run pg_dump from the laptop without entering the password
Date: 2023-10-21 15:18:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 10/21/23 10:07, M Sarwar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Environment:-
> Database Postgres 13.7 is running from AWS RDS.
> I am trying to run pg_dump from my Windows laptop which has got pgAdmin
> installed on it.
> When I installed pgAdmin, it has pg_dump on the client side.
>
> Now I am trying to make backup using pg_dump from my laptop. I am trying
> to run as Windows job from the laptop.
> I need to schedule the job without entering the password.
> I am going to look into scheduling job thru aws which is later and not
> right now.
> Can you please help me in scheduling thru Windows from my laptop without
> entering the password?
> I am having issues with entering the password while running this job.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/libpq-pgpass.html

The file|.pgpass|in a user's home directory can contain passwords to be used
if the connection requires a password (and no password has been specified
otherwise). On Microsoft Windows the file is
named|%APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf|(where|%APPDATA%|refers to the
Application Data subdirectory in the user's profile).

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.