Re: Interrupts vs signals

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Interrupts vs signals
Date: 2024-07-08 02:56:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's an updated version of this patch.

The main idea is that SendProcSignal(pid, PROCSIGNAL_XXX, procno)
becomes SendInterrupt(INTERRUPT_XXX, procno), and all the pending
interrupt global variables and pss_procsignalFlags[] go away, along
with the SIGUSR1 handler. The interrupts are compressed into a single
bitmap. See commit message for more details.

The patch is failing on Windows CI for reasons I haven't debugged yet,
but I wanted to share what I have so far. Work in progress!

Here is my attempt to survey the use of signals and write down what I
think we might do about them all so far, to give the context for this
patch:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Signals

Comments, corrections, edits very welcome.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Redesign-interrupts-remove-ProcSignals.patch text/x-patch 127.3 KB