Re: Windows default locale vs initdb

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ertan Küçükoglu <ertan(dot)kucukoglu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Windows default locale vs initdb
Date: 2024-07-22 02:51:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ertan Küçükoglu offered to try to review and test this, so here's a rebase.

Some notes:

* it turned out that the Turkish i/I test problem I mentioned earlier
in this thread[1] was just always broken on Windows, we just didn't
ever test with UTF-8 before Meson took over; it's skipped now, see
commit cff4e5a3[2]

* it seems that you can't actually put encodings like .1252 on the end
(.UTF-8 must be a special case); I don't know if we should look into a
better UTF-8 mode for modern Windows, but that'd be a separate project

* this patch only benefits people who run initdb.exe without
explicitly specifying a locale; probably a good number of real systems
in the wild actually use EDB's graphical installer which initialises a
cluster and has its own way of choosing the locale, as discussed in
Ertan's thread[3]

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKGJZskvCh%3DQm75UkHrY6c1QZUuC92Po9rponj1BbLmcMEA%40mail.gmail.com#3a00c08214a4285d2f3c4297b0ac2be2
[2] https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/cff4e5a3
[3] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAH2i4ydECHZPxEBB7gtRG3vROv7a0d3tqAFXzcJWQ9hRsc1znQ%40mail.gmail.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-MinGW-has-GetLocaleInfoEx.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB
v5-0002-Default-to-IETF-BCP-47-locale-names-in-initdb-on-.patch text/x-patch 4.2 KB