Re: A few French translation typos

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A few French translation typos
Date: 2022-05-12 02:27:12
Lists: pgsql-translators

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 10:21 PM Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org> wrote:
> On 5/9/22 14:41, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > msgid "Alter statistics on table column instead."
> > msgstr "Modifie les statistiques sur la colonne de la table à la place."
> >
> > s/Modifie /Modifiez /
>
> For this and the others like it, I would use the infinitive form.
> "Modifier les statistiques..."

I see, I guess that reads a little more like a suggestion/hint (which
it is) than a direct order, a distinction we don't exactly have in
English. (There seem to be other examples of imperatives, which is
probably why I suggested that, but also some infinitives. *Shrug*)

https://leconjugueur.lefigaro.fr/ukemploi_imperatif_infinitif.php

> > msgid "column reference \"%s\" is ambiguous"
> > msgstr "la référence à la colonne « %s » est ambigu"
> >
> > s/ambigu/ambiguë/ (two more like this: à la table)
>
> The correct spelling is ambigüe; otherwise good.

Aha, another spelling that changed. (I will refrain from complaining
about inconsistency in adoption of French:1990!)

> > msgid "NULLIF requires = operator to yield boolean"
> > msgstr "NULLIF requiert l'opérateur = pour comparer des booleéns"
> >
> > s/booleéns/booléens/
>
> Obvious typo.

Oh, wait a minute, besides the typo, isn't it really something like
"... requiert que l'opérateur = retourne une valeur de type booléen"?

I think this other similar makes the same mistake:

msgid "IS DISTINCT FROM requires = operator to yield boolean"
msgstr "IS DISTINCT FROM requiert l'opérateur = pour comparer des booléens"

Thanks Vik.