Re: macOS prefetching support

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: macOS prefetching support
Date: 2024-08-26 05:54:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 24, 2024 at 12:28 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> In terms of $subject, this patch seems sufficient for now.

WFM. I noticed you don't have an EINTR retry loop, but the man page
doesn't say you need one, so overall this patch LGTM.

+ * posix_fadvise() is the simplest standardized interface that accomplishes
+ * this. We could add an implementation using libaio in the future; but note
+ * that this API is inappropriate for libaio, which wants to have a buffer
+ * provided to read into.

I would consider just dropping that comment about libaio, if touching
this paragraph. Proposals exist for AIO of course, but not with
libaio, and better predictions with useful discussion of the topic
seem unlikely to fit in this margin.