Re: pgsql: Handle lack of DSM slots in parallel btree build.

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Thomas Munro <tmunro(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Handle lack of DSM slots in parallel btree build.
Date: 2020-02-04 10:17:24
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 9:13 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > Uh, this seems to have completely disabled parallel index builds on
> > the master branch.
>
> Oops. The check needs to move down below InitializeParallelDSM(), and
> release any extra resources that might have been acquired (snapshot?).
> I will do some testing in a few hours and post a fix.

Here is take 2. I tested CI and CIC, and verified that workers are
started or not depending on dsm_create() failure, using the attached
fault injector patch. (Fuzzing the regression tests repeatedly with
that applied also revealed similar problems elsewhere in the tree,
which I'll write about in a new thread.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Handle-lack-of-DSM-slots-in-parallel-btree-build-tak.patch application/octet-stream 1.9 KB
0002-Inject-random-faults-into-dsm_create.patch application/octet-stream 856 bytes