Re: How to retrieve Comment text using SQL, not psql?

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Bob Futrelle <bob(dot)futrelle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to retrieve Comment text using SQL, not psql?
Date: 2015-05-31 17:42:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Bob:

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Bob Futrelle <bob(dot)futrelle(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Using pgAdmin3 I've tried this and variations on it. All are rejected.
> select COMMENT ON TABLE articlestats

pgAdmin3 is a bit complex for me, bot on vanilla psql you can use the switch:

-E
--echo-hidden

Echo the actual queries generated by \d and other backslash commands.
You can use this to study psql's internal operations. This is
equivalent to setting the variable ECHO_HIDDEN to on.
<<<
to learn how it does them, and elaborate from there, Its a nice
resource ( although I fear its queries evolve with versions, but you
can always port them touse the information_schema (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/information-schema.html )
which should be a little more stable.

Francisco Olarte.