Re: BUG #12785: server process (PID 2872) was terminated by exception 0xC0000005

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: daniele(dot)posenato(at)smartec(dot)ch
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #12785: server process (PID 2872) was terminated by exception 0xC0000005
Date: 2015-02-20 16:54:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Daniele:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM, <daniele(dot)posenato(at)smartec(dot)ch> wrote:

> Operating system: W7 professionale 64 bit

​....

> For an industrial application I have the same software running on 4
> different PCs with the same characteristics and configurations. Each PC has
> its how postgresql database. All 4 PC are doing the same things.
> On one PC sometimes (about one per week) I get the server process (PID
> 2872)
> was terminated by exception 0xC0000005.

​IIRC ​
0xC0000005
​ is the windows code for access violation, similar to SIGSEGV, which uses
to be caused by stray pointers and similar things. Given you have this
running in 4 machines and only got it in one it MAY be caused by faulty
hardware ( ram flips a bit, corrupts a pointer, postgres uses pointer and
gets the error ). If you can I would suggest doing a good RAM / disk / CPU
test in that machine ( postgres is one of the candidates of getting hit by
ram/disk faults because it uses a lot of them ).

​Best regards
Francisco Olarte.​