Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Diego Stammerjohann <diegostammer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key
Date: 2024-07-23 13:57:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Diego:

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 at 14:01, Diego Stammerjohann
<diegostammer(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> OK, that sounds good to me.
Due to top posting I am unable to discern what part sounds good.

> So, the documentation should be update to something like this:
> "An expression based generated column cannot be part of a partition key."
> Sounds fair?

Sounds good, but if you analyze it there is no such thing as "An
expression based generated column" defined. There are generated
columns and identity columns. Unfortunately both use the keyword
GENERATED in their definition / creation, probably due to some
standard committee shenanigans.

Francisco Olarte.