Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key

From: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
To: Diego Stammerjohann <diegostammer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A generated column cannot be part of a partition key
Date: 2024-07-23 13:31:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2024-07-23 14:01 +0200, Diego Stammerjohann wrote:
> So, the documentation should be update to something like this:
>
> "An expression based generated column cannot be part of a partition key."
>
> Sounds fair?

I think that change is unnecessarily confusing since that page only
talks about those generated columns. Note that pg17 will also document
identity columns[1], right before that generated columns section. Not
sure if generated != identity should be made explicit when the preceding
section introduces identity columns.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/ddl-identity-columns.html

--
Erik