Re: Proposal to have INCLUDE/EXCLUDE options for altering option values

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to have INCLUDE/EXCLUDE options for altering option values
Date: 2024-08-26 17:31:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 12:34 PM Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I noticed that my last commit needs rebase through cfbot - http://cfbot.cputube.org/ayush-vatsa.html
> PFA the rebased patch for the same.

Hi Ayush,

Thanks for working on this. One problem that I notice is that your
documentation changes seem to suppose that all options are lists, but
actually most of them aren't, and these new variants wouldn't be
applicable to non-list cases. They also suppose that everybody's using
comma-separated lists specifically, but that's not required and some
extensions might be doing something different. Also, I'm not convinced
that this problem would arise often enough in practice that it's worth
adding a feature to address it. A user who has this problem can pretty
easily do some scripting to address it - e.g. SELECT the current
option value, split it on commas, add or remove whatever, and then SET
the new option value. If that were something lots of users were doing
all the time, then I think it might make a lot of sense to have a
built-in solution to make it easier, but I doubt that's the case.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com