Re: Pgstattuple on Sequences: Seeking Community Feedback on Potential Patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ayush Vatsa <ayushvatsa1810(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Subject: Re: Pgstattuple on Sequences: Seeking Community Feedback on Potential Patch
Date: 2024-08-26 17:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 26, 2024 at 1:26 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> While it is apparently pretty uncommon to use pgstattuple on sequences,
> this is arguably a bug that should be fixed and back-patched.

I don't understand what would make it a bug.

> IMHO it would be good to establish some level of consistency here.

Sure, consistency is good, all other things being equal, but just
saying "well this used to work one way and now it works another way"
isn't enough to say that there is a bug, or that something should be
changed.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com