Re: Little cleanup of ShmemInit function names

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Little cleanup of ShmemInit function names
Date: 2024-08-28 19:15:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 2:41 PM Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
> Not sure if it is correct or not but from some googling it seems to be a
> direct translation of "quod vide". I think "for which, see" would likely
> be more proper English but it is not my native language and we use
> "which see" elsewhere so we might as well be consistent and use "which see".

If somebody wrote "for which, see" in a patch I was reviewing, I would
definitely complain about it.

I wouldn't complain about "which see", but that's mostly because I
know Tom likes the expression. As a native English speaker, it sounds
basically grammatical to me, but it's an extremely uncommon usage. I
prefer to phrase things in ways that are closer to how people actually
talk, partly because I know that we do have many people working on the
project who are not native speakers of English, and are thus more
likely to be tripped up by obscure usages.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com