Re: [pgAdmin4][patch][runtime]: RM#2829, RM#2491 - pgAdmin4 crashes while saving CSV data from Query tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][patch][runtime]: RM#2829, RM#2491 - pgAdmin4 crashes while saving CSV data from Query tool
Date: 2017-11-16 14:43:54
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Adding information.
>
> With this patch, RM#2715 should also be resolved.
>
> Thanks,
> Neel Patel
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Neel Patel <neel(dot)patel(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am able to reproduce the crash while downloading and save data in CSV
>> file from query tool.
>>
>> Please find attached updated patch with below changes after reading Qt
>> documentation.
>>
>> - Added new signal "readyRead". As per the Qt documentation, this
>> signal will be emitted when data is ready from IO channel for large amount
>> of data transfer between server and client.
>> - Ready read and DownloadInProgress signal is very quick in call so
>> we should not do large operation inside that slot because for downloading
>> big data it may possible of frequent call of those signals which may cause
>> the crash or missing data to write inside the file so removed unnecessary
>> logic from that slot.
>> - Fixed the crash while opening IODevice with NULL handle.
>>
>> With above changes, I have tested with same data as earlier and it is
>> working as expected without crashing the application.
>>
>> Do review it and let me know for comments.

My first test was on Mac using Qt 5.8 with webkit, and when I attempted to
download the results from a 300K row query, it basically hung showing the
Downloading File progress indicator. It let me cancel it and carried on
working, but hung again the next time I tried the CSV download. Each time
it seems to download some data - from the same query I've seen 2.8MB, 5.1MB
and 1.5MB.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com