Re: pgAdmin4 won't start after OS upgrade

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Ray O'Donnell" <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin4 won't start after OS upgrade
Date: 2020-09-01 15:58:19
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:33 PM Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded my laptop yesterday from Debian 9 to 10 (Buster), and now
> pgAdmin4 won't start. It tries to start for a while, and then I get a
> little dialog saying "An error occurred initialising the pgAdmin server:
> Failed to launch the application server, server thread exiting."
>
> I have the pgadmin4-server, pgadmin4-desktop and pgadmin4-doc packages
> installed, version 4.25, all installed via apt from the pgAdmin repo.
> Removing and reinstalling them makes no difference. I have also deleted
> the settings database at ~/.pgadmin/pgadmin4.db, but no difference. The
> log file at ~/.pgadmin/pgadmin4.log is empty.
>
> Where else should I be looking? I know nothing about Python, so I don't
> know where to start.
>
> Thanks in advance - any help will be greatly appreciated.

Probably due to the library differences in stretch vs. buster.

I would remove the existing pgAdmin packages with dpkg, then
edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgadmin4.list and correct the URL (change
stretch to buster). Then do an apt get update before installing pgAdmin
again.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com