Re: pgAdmin4 won't start after OS upgrade

From: Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin4 won't start after OS upgrade
Date: 2020-09-01 16:03:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 01/09/2020 16:58, Dave Page wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 4:33 PM Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie
> <mailto:ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded my laptop yesterday from Debian 9 to 10 (Buster), and now
> pgAdmin4 won't start. It tries to start for a while, and then I get a
> little dialog saying "An error occurred initialising the pgAdmin server:
> Failed to launch the application server, server thread exiting."

<snip>

> Probably due to the library differences in stretch vs. buster.
>
> I would remove the existing pgAdmin packages with dpkg, then
> edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgadmin4.list and correct the URL (change
> stretch to buster). Then do an apt get update before installing pgAdmin
> again.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I should have been clearer - I did
that before the OS upgrade, going for the big-bang approach to the
upgrade (yes, I know that that's living dangerously!), so my current
installation is from the buster repo. I assumed that the pgAdmin and
Python libraries would have been upgraded along with everything else
when I did the OS upgrade - was I wrong?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie