Re: Question about open source license

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: markpare(at)videotron(dot)ca
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question about open source license
Date: 2020-10-09 08:23:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 8:16 PM <markpare(at)videotron(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi team, I was wondering about your open source license. If I take the
> source and extend it with some non-PostgreSQL related ideas, am I free to
> sell that final product? Do I have to make sure that my code is also open
> source?
>

> I read about the copyleft definition, but wasn’t sure what applied to your
> license.
>

> Let me know – thanks!

The pgAdmin licence can be found at https://www.pgadmin.org/licence/, and
there's an inventory of 3rd party licences that apply shipped with the
packages built by the pgAdmin team. You can create that inventory in your
own build environment using the script at tools/dependency_inventory.py in
the pgAdmin source tree.

None of the developers are lawyers though, so we cannot give you legal
advice. You will need to confirm with your own legal advisor whether or not
you are able to meet the requirements of all the licences.

That said, the pgAdmin licence is a permissive one, so normally you can
modify the code as you see fit, and include it in commercial products
without having to distribute the source.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com