Re: Bug #6337 Patch

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Florian Sabonchi <sabonchi(at)posteo(dot)de>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #6337 Patch
Date: 2021-07-22 08:31:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 9:19 AM Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:27 PM Akshay Joshi <
> akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Florian
>>
>> Thanks, the patch applied.
>>
>> I have changed the flash string from 'Account locked' to 'Your account is
>> locked. Please contact the Administrator.'
>>
> I have a scenario.
> I have only one user in pgAdmin.
>
> What would happen then?
> + Does it lock that user too?

Yes.

> + If yes - do we have information in the document to unlock that user?

I hope so :-p

> I am also curious about another case. A hacker can use multiple users for
> the same.
> Should we also lock/avoid requests from a particular ip-address/machine
> for X minutes/hours?

That's more difficult to deal with - there are common deployment scenarios
where all connections might appear to come from a single IP, for example,
when behind a load balancer (there are good reasons to do that, even with a
single pgAdmin instance) or proxy. In such cases we may or may not get an
X-Forwarded-For header, and even if we do it may not be reliable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com