Re: [GSoC][Patch] Automatic Mode Detection V1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Yosry Muhammad <yosrym93(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC][Patch] Automatic Mode Detection V1
Date: 2019-06-26 11:01:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:20 AM Yosry Muhammad <yosrym93(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 1:09 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

>> - What else is missing from this patch to make it applicable ? I would
>>>>
>>> @Dave Page is the right person to answer this.
>>>

>> It needs:
>>
>> - A code complete feature (or infrastructure/refactoring ready for a
>> feature), that is acceptable to us. Seems like this is 90% there for an
>> initial commit.
>> - Documentation updates.
>> - Tests for the new feature to ensure it works without needing manual
>> testing.
>> - To pass all existing tests (which may be modified if appropriate).
>>

> Could you tell me what is missing from this patch (in terms of features -
> other than tests) to be acceptable? I will start working on the tests once
> the patch is complete. The patch passes all the existing tests except for 3
> feature tests that fail due to a TimeoutException in selenium. I do not
> know what this is about I hope Aditya will help me with it.

Here are the issues I think should be fixed first:

- I think the Save button should be moved to the left of the Find button.
It makes more sense to be near the Save Query button.

- Umm, that's about it, bar the history issue. The quick fix there might be
to hide the internal queries for now as previously discussed, but I do this
the checkbox to include them (in their mogrified state) should be included
as part of the overall project.

Note that I haven't done in-depth testing. Once the patch is committed (and
about now is a good time, as we're at the beginning of the release cycle),
we'll get our QA guy to see if he can find any issues we've missed.

> Also, do you mean code documentation or documentation for the users? Could
> you point me towards the related parts?

User documentation. I would expect at least one screenshot update due to
the new button on the toolbar (probably more - please check for others that
need updating), as well as updates to at least:

editgrid.rst
query_tool.rst
query_tool_toolbar.rst

Great work!