Re: About pgagent monitor authority

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Zhiyu ZY13 Xu <xuzy13(at)lenovo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About pgagent monitor authority
Date: 2021-03-09 10:22:57
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Zhiyu ZY13 Xu <xuzy13(at)lenovo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi pgadmin/pgagent support
>

> I experience a authority problem when using pgagent. Some developer want
> to check the pgagent jobs running status by pgadmin.
>
> It’s easy to view and check the jobs running status by pgadmin.
>
> But I found that only SUPER user could check the pgagent status by
> pgadmin.
>
> as a PG DBA. I don’t want to others to using SUPER authority user.
>
> Is there any way to grant specify permission to developer to check
> pgagent jobs running status by pgadmin except use SUPER user ? Thanks in
> advance.

Not within the main UI, no. Please log a feature request at
https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgadmin4/issues/new. I think by
default the permissions on the underlying tables will still block access -
and that's the correct thing to do as the job output may contain
sensitive information. pgAdmin should gracefully fail with a "permission
denied" error by default, but it could be made to work by explicitly
GRANTing SELECT permissions on the underlying tables to users who should be
able to view the logs.

In the meantime, you could do that anyway; grant permissions for your users
to SELECT from pga_joblog and pga_jobsteplog.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com