Re: Regarding feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can now take the option FORCE ..."

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regarding feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can now take the option FORCE ..."
Date: 2023-06-13 09:20:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 at 09:36, Akshay Joshi <akshay(dot)joshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Hackers
>
> I have started the implementation for feature #6367 "DROP DATABASE can now
> take the option FORCE to drop a database even if other users are connected".
>
> For that, I figure out two places one in the Properties tab of the
> Databases collection node and the other in the context menu on the
> individual database node except the maintenance database. This feature will
> be available from PG 13 and above. Please refer to the screenshot below:
>
> [image: Properties.png] The 'Drop with Force' button is visible only on
> the Databases collection node. For other collection nodes, it is a 'Drop
> Cascade'.

Right, because CASCADE means drop dependent objects as well, but FORCE
means disconnect connected users first.

> [image: Context Menu.png]
>
> Please review and let me know your thoughts. Is there any place where I
> can use this?

I'm not sure what you mean with your last question, but I think the wording
needs some thought. Currently we have:

Delete/Drop
Drop Cascade
Delete/Drop with Force

I would suggest:

Delete (Cascade)
Delete (Force)

And we should probably re-order the menu to place those options together
(and make sure the confirmation dialogues have appropriately matching text).

--
Dave Page
Blog: https://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com