Re: db restore from sql file

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "James B(dot) Byrne" <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgadmin-support lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: db restore from sql file
Date: 2021-02-22 15:46:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM James B. Byrne <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
wrote:

> On Mon, February 22, 2021 04:14, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 8:00 PM James B. Byrne <byrnejb(at)harte-lyne(dot)ca>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Is there no way to restore from an sql file from within pgadmin4?
> >>

> > Not at present, because pg_restore can't do it. You'd need to feed the
> file
> > into the psql command line utility.
>
> Thanks. I did that to get past the immediate difficulty. But it is
> inconvenient to unload from one host, transfer the dump to another host,
> log on
> to the second host, and then use psql. As compared to using pgadim where
> everything is handled via one interface on a single host.

Yeah; there's not a great deal we can do about the file transfer part, as
pgAdmin normally only has access via the postgres wire protocol.

Using a non-plain format will avoid the need to use psql for now, and we do
have a feature request to support restoring of plain dumps:
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/3119. It's usually just more
convenient to use custom format though these days, so the issue rarely
comes up.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com