Re: No commit nor Rollback button

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No commit nor Rollback button
Date: 2017-10-17 08:07:26
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 6:26 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 2:03 AM, legrand legrand <
> legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Murtuza,
>>
>> I found those options for switching between autocommit mode and manual
>> mode.
>>
>> What I suggest here is to add one button for commit and one button for
>> rollback,
>> they would be green and red in manual transaction mode
>> they would be greyed in autocommit mode.
>>
>> A more advanced behavior in manual mode, is to let them greyed as long as
>> there is no modification done in the transaction.
>>
> ​Oh okay, that functionality is not available.
>
> In my personal opinion, I don't see requested buttons for commit/rollback
> as frequently used feature by most user when you have auto commit/rollback
> mode available.

I agree - and based on the lack of requests over the years, I believe most
users would too.

I can see why for some people who choose to turn auto-commit/auto-rollback
off they may be useful, however we cannot simply add new features every
time someone asks for something. Doing so adds maintenance costs, and
increases complexity of the UI for *everyone*. That is part of the reason
why pgAdmin III became unmaintainable; we added too many features on a whim
without giving enough thought to whether or not the added code and UI
complexity was justified, and eventually ended up with a mess of
spaghetti-code.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com