Re: Data grid: fetching/scrolling data on user demand

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data grid: fetching/scrolling data on user demand
Date: 2017-10-17 08:23:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 2:22 AM, legrand legrand <
> legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> How long does it take in your environnment
>> to fetch the 1000 first records from
>>
>> select * from information_schema.columns a,information_schema.columns b
>>
> ​I didn't run it because on my environment just count
> from information_schema.columns gave me 7325 records (Cross join will be 7
> 325
> ​ * 7
> 325
> ​ records , and obviously that will take huge amount of time
> )
> ​
> ​

Right - exactly as it does in psql (the command line interface). pgAdmin
can't make the database engine faster - all it can do is retrieve and
display the results as efficiently as possible, once the server makes them
available.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com