Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to Comment/Uncomment code in query editor

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to Comment/Uncomment code in query editor
Date: 2017-07-17 09:35:06
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:16 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
>> murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> PFA patch which will add functionality to allow user to
>>> comment/uncomment code in query editor.
>>> RM#2456
>>>

>> This is cool, but I'm not sure it's right as-is:
>>
>> * I prefer SQL style commenting, e.g.
>>
>> -- This is a comment
>>
>> Should we make that a config option if CodeMirror can do it? Or a
>> different hotkey?
>>

> I'll check the extension code and update you accordingly, and It will be
> good idea to keep the both the options because with large code block
> current style works the best.

Right.

> * You've added it as an option to the Clear XXX dropdown, which really
>> isn't the right place in my opinion. Should we add a new drop down for
>> this, and include some/all of the other Editing options on there? E.g.
>> tab/shift-tab.
>>
>> I thought that is misc options dropdown for our editor, but I don't see
> any point adding new drop down for one single option, Can we add new button
> instead?

I think you missed this bit: "and include some/all of the other Editing
options on there? E.g. tab/shift-tab.". Essentially, we'd be adding an Edit
menu...

> * I think the docs should say Ctrl+Shift+/ rather than Shift+Ctrl+/, and
>> be ordered in the table to reflect that. It seems more natural to me.
>>
>> Initially I wrote ctrl + shift + /only but when I saw all other shortcuts
> starts with Shift , then I changed it to shift + ctrl + / :)

No they don't - Ctrl+Alt+Left for example. I believe it's normal to put
Ctrl first, then Shift as it's a modifier.