Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Chethana Kumar <chethana(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool
Date: 2018-01-08 13:51:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> PFA updated patch.
>
> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:49 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
>> murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> PFA updated patch,

>>> I have logged​
>>> ​
>>> https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2983

>>> ​Fixed​
>>>

>> Much better.

>>> ​Fixed​
>>> , added accesskey *'T'* for TX status tooltip shortcut as 'S' is
>>> already taken for Save file option
>>>

>> Hmm - having seen it, I don't think the marker helps us.
>>
>> Can you remove it, and fix the tooltip (which doesn't seem to work)? If
>> we always have the tooltip say "Connection status Ctrl+Alt+T" (or whatever
>> is appropriate for the platform/browser), then that should give the user
>> enough hint to click.
>>
> ​
> Fixed​.
> I have removed the marker & added tooltip instead but it is not possible
> to add specific shortcut keys in tooltip because accesskey may vary
> depending on OS & browser.
> ​Ref: ​
> https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_accesskey.asp

That's better - though I think the tool tip is better as something like:

Connection status (click for details) (<accesskey>+T)

I'm still not overly happy with all the polling that's going on though.
It's a lot of requests, especially with multiple QTs open. I think we need
to be able to disable the feature entirely through a switch in the
Preferences. In that case, no icon would be shown, and polling would be
disabled - i.e. everything would be as it is now.

What do you think?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com