Re: PATCH: graphical explain

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Sanket Mehta <sanket(dot)mehta(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: graphical explain
Date: 2016-04-18 12:08:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Monday, April 18, 2016, Sanket Mehta <sanket(dot)mehta(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Regarding your second comment,
> Almost all the libraries that I have checked uses Jquery UI which is quite
> heavy.
> Please share your comments about using these libraries.

What have you found?

> Meanwhile currently I have implemented zoom in/out functionality in
> graphical explain.
> I have added two buttons on left top corner of panel (see the attached
> screen shot),
> which you can use to zoom in/out the graph.
>
> Please do review it and let me know your comments about them.

I have tested the code, so no screenshots necessary :-).

The problem with the zoom is that it doesn't give you any visual indicators
that there is something on the canvas. With a big plan, it'll just look
blank, unless the user starts scrolling/zooming. The viewport will give
instant hints to the user that there's a big plan there, albeit out of
view, and allow them to very easily navigate it.