Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date: 2018-08-28 12:39:32
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2018, at 7:34 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>

>> Thanks, Dave, for picking that one up. I had it on my list to deal with
>> but it somehow slipped out of my inbox.

>>> The first issue that I can see (or more correctly, not see), is the
>>> source code. All packages on these pages need to be 100% Open Source,
>>> including the code required to build the packages themselves (but not
>>> necessarily the tools/compilers of course). Where can the code be found?
>>>

>> In fact, I'd like to take this opportunity to suggest another
>> restructure. (which I've been thinking about for a while, but this makes it
>> more current)
>>
>> I think for the distribution specific ones, we should really only keep
>> the community provided or recommended ones. That means on debian/ubuntu
>> pages we keep only apt.pg.org and "included in distro". For
>> redhat/ubuntu we keep only yum.pg.org and "included in distro". That
>> goes for all the platforms that we have clear recommendations on.
>>
>> The other installers, including this new one from 2ndquadrant, gets moved
>> to "3rd party distributions" on https://www.postgresql.org/download/,
>> which may now possibly need a sub-page with all of them on. (Incidentally,
>> this is where 2UDA already is).
>>

> I could go with that.
>

> +1. Happy to draft up a patch with some screenshots to demonstrate
> what this would look like.
>

>> The remaining question then becomes Windows and Mac. My personal view is
>> keep the EDB installer on the Windows one, but consider keeping
>> postgres.app instead on Mac (along with references to things like homebrew)
>> as that seems to resonate with what people actually want on that platform.
>> But I'm not a Mac user myself, so somebody who is might have an argument
>> for keeping others there instead.
>>

> Postgres.app has a very different design goal than the other Mac packages;
> I think we need both options there. I'd also note that some of the
> back-branch versions of Postgres.app are quite out of date which is a
> problem in of itself.
>
> (and FWIW, I still think that Homebrew should be removed and cast into a
> pit of fire for the futzing it does with permissions/ownership of
> /usr/local/)
>

> If you could reword this with “Homebrew has demonstrative issues that could
> affect the security of running PostgreSQL on OSX/MacOS” perhaps we could
> drop it in this release, or add language “We don’t recommend installing
> PostgreSQL
> with Homebrew because of blah blah blah.”
>
> That said, I’d like to confirm that is still true prior to making that
> decision.

I did;

*==>** The following existing directories will be made group writable:*

/usr/local/bin

/usr/local/lib

/usr/local/share

/usr/local/var

*==>** The following existing directories will have their owner set to *
*dpage*:

/usr/local/bin

/usr/local/lib

/usr/local/share

/usr/local/var

*==>** The following existing directories will have their group set to *
*admin*:

/usr/local/bin

/usr/local/lib

/usr/local/share

/usr/local/var

I would rather we don't list a distro, than list one that we have to put
security warnings against.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com