Re: Drop Python 2 support in pgAdmin?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Drop Python 2 support in pgAdmin?
Date: 2020-04-27 09:03:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:56 PM Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
wrote:

> On 2020-04-24 5:50 a.m., Dave Page wrote:
> > Python 2 has been unsupported for a few months now.
> >
> > Does anyone object to dropping Python 2 support in pgAdmin? This
> primarily
> > affects our Python package - other installers and packages all use
> Python 3 I
> > believe.
>
> I know that Apple at least is pushing that if any products depend on
> Python or
> other dynamic language runtimes they should be bundling the runtime with
> the app
> and not expecting the system to provide it. And in that case, bundle
> whatever
> version you want, probably the very latest Python. Further to this, Apple
> has
> deprecated that it is bundling these things with the MacOS. -- Darren
> Duncan

Yeah, that is true. We stopped using the system Python on macOS quite some
time ago now for that reason. Our packages currently use 3.8, which we
bundle.

That does remind me though, that I should cleanup the build script as it
does still have support for the system Python in it.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company