Re: pgAdmin4 - Connection Lost

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jack Royal-Gordon <jackrg(at)pobox(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin4 - Connection Lost
Date: 2016-10-30 16:55:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Friday, October 28, 2016, Jack Royal-Gordon <jackrg(at)pobox(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I often leave query windows open in pgAdmin4, even when I close my laptop
> and put it to sleep. It usually loses the connection to the server when
> this happens. If I then open the laptop and re-run the last query (or run
> any other query), it takes 30 seconds to a minute before the query aborts
> with the message “Connection to server lost!”. Anything you could do to
> either restore the connection automatically or give the message quicker
> would be appreciated (note that this is already an improvement over pgAdmin
> III, where if I respond “Yes” to the “Restore connection?” question, the
> entire program aborts.

I suspect the timeout is libpq realising that the connection has been lost.
I doubt there's anything we can do about that.

Regarding the message - displaying that is intentional. You really, really,
really want to know that the connection is being re-established if you were
in the middle of a transaction, or had run some other queries (like SET
search_path) before it was lost.

Regards, Dave.

--
Dave Page