Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Chethana Kumar <chethana(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Adding connection status in Query tool
Date: 2018-01-03 17:14:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PFA updated patch based on new design suggested by Chethana.
> The patch also includes some misc fixes related to object validation.
> RM#2475

This seems much nicer, but I still think there are some tweaks to make:

1) If I open a query tool, and then stop the application server, the icon
is updated to show the broken connection. However, unless I execute a query
in the query tool before the server is shut down, the connection status
won't recover when the server is restarted. If I do run a query first
(SELECT 1; will do), then the connection status will recover.

2) I think the "connected" icon should be in $primary-blue (#2c76b4). The
green is ugly and not overly easy to read. It's also distracting as it
catches the eye, which the default, non-error state should not do.

3) I'm not overly happy with the the status text popover. After some
thought, I think it's because there are no visual clues that you should
click on the icon to see it - and Karen seems to be of a similar opinion.
Can we put a small marker there, perhaps a triangle on the bottom-right,
like you get on a spreadsheet cell if you add a comment/note? We should
also have a hotkey and I guess a tooltip, e.g. "Connection status
Ctrl+Alt+S" or similar.

Thanks!

> Please review.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Murtuza Zabuawala
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Chethana Kumar <
> chethana(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Yes Dave.
>>
>> Now it is clearly differentiated, please check and confirm.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chethana kumar
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> There are 2 icons that look the same except for colour. That’s not going
>>> to work for some users with colour blindness.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave Page
>>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter: @pgsnake
>>>
>>> EnterpriseDB UK:http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>>>
>>> On 21 Dec 2017, at 15:32, Chethana Kumar <chethana(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)c
>>> om> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Team,
>>>
>>> I have refined the icon once again for database connection status in
>>> query tool itself.
>>>
>>> Below are the 5 different status that I have attached as screenshot -
>>>
>>> 1_busy
>>> 2_error_in_transaction
>>> 3_valid_transaction_in_idle
>>> 4_database_connected