Re: Windows testing required: Updated runtime

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows testing required: Updated runtime
Date: 2017-11-16 09:29:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM, George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> When released I upgraded to pgAdmin 4v2.0. I've noticed a consistent
> pattern:
>
> On a cold start its taking a long time to load. Just now, 52 seconds.
>
> After it has been started once and then restarted, time to start is 8
> seconds.

On my extremely slow (2GB RAM) test VM, I just got 33 seconds for a cold
start immediately following a reboot, and 10 seconds for subsequent
startups.

On my desktop machine, I got 16 seconds for a cold start immediately
following a reboot and pgAdmin installation. Warm start was about 8
seconds. I get similar results on a Windows laptop.

Could it be that you have some anti-virus software or similar that's
slowing the first start?

> pgAdmin 3 (v1.22) takes 3 seconds from a cold start.

Apples to oranges as the architecture is completely different and they're
never going to behave the same way.