Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to provide custom SSL certificates and provide .pgpass file

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Murtuza Zabuawala <murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to provide custom SSL certificates and provide .pgpass file
Date: 2017-08-30 08:53:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> PFA updated patch with new screenshots and docs accordingly.
>
> RM
> ​#​
> 2649
> ​ & RM#​
> 2650
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala <
>> murtuza(dot)zabuawala(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> Please find updated patch,
>>> - For displaying hidden files I have added preference option in Storage
>>> section.
>>>

>> How painful would it be to include it on the file dialogue as well?
>>
> ​Done​
>

>>> - Updated Docs & Screenshots.
>>> - User can use 'prefer' option to enable SSL options.
>>>

>> Cool.
>>
>> A couple of other things I realised in playing with this:
>>
>> 1) The SSL tab should come before Advanced I think.
>>
> ​Done​
>

>> 2) The docs now mention the default SSL files. In server mode, using
>> defaults is probably a bad idea I suspect (because they would be shared).
>> Should we force the values to /dev/null (and whatever is appropriate on
>> Windows) if running in server mode? Users can always override that with
>> something from their storage area.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> ​In my opinion we should not ​force users to provide certificates, we can
> let them decide how they want to configure it.

It's not about forcing them to provide them, it's about preventing them
from using defaults which may be owned by the user that the app runs as on
a server, but that should not be (unless explicitly allowed by the
sysadmin) accessible to every pgAdmin user.

Thoughts from others? Ashesh?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com