Re: pgsql: Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces
Date: 2022-03-19 03:59:29
Lists: pgsql-committers

Hi Alvaro,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 7:47 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces
>
> Create subroutines ExecUpdatePrologue / ExecUpdateAct /
> ExecUpdateEpilogue, and similar for ExecDelete.
>
> Introduce a new struct to be used internally in nodeModifyTable.c,
> dubbed ModifyTableContext, which contains all context information needed
> to perform these operations, as well as ExecInsert and others.
>
> This allows using a different schedule and a different way of evaluating
> the results of these operations, which can be exploited by a later
> commit introducing support for MERGE. It also makes ExecUpdate and
> ExecDelete proper shorter and (hopefully) simpler.

I noticed that we failed to update a comment mentioning a now obsolete
parameter of ExecCrossPartitionUpdate(). Attached a patch to fix that
and an old typo in the same sentence.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-obsolete-comment.patch application/octet-stream 893 bytes