Re: Seattle PostgreSQL Day

From: Basil Bourque <basil(dot)bourque(dot)lists(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seattle PostgreSQL Day
Date: 2013-11-01 21:40:24
Lists: seapug

LinuxFest Northwest 2014
Bellingham, WA (Bellingham Technical College)
April 26th & 27th
http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/

Pros:

• Drastically reduces the preparatory & logistics work on our part, compared with doing an event on our own.
• Low cost (free?)
• We can ride on their publicity
• We had surprisingly good results last year, meeting many people, and gained several new members to our PUG including more attendees at our meetings.
• Lots of enthusiastic people. They claim 1200 attendees in 2012, and I suspect I saw more than that in 2013.
• People do bother to travel - people from Seattle, Vancouver BC, etc. were in attendence.

Cons:

• So far away from Seattle & Eastside. About 1 to 1.5 hour drive each way, as I recall.
• Not many business people. Many geeks, few suits.
• Earlier than Joshua suggested (April vs June)
• Lousy food & coffee choices.

As for running two tracks in two rooms for a single day, perhaps we could run in one room over both days? Lloyd, do you recall if both days had a lot of attendence or was one day more popular than the other?

I believe LinuxFest is our best opportunity for a first-time effort at doing a pgDay, because there is almost no preparatory & logistics work. The catch would be that we must get enough members to commit to making the trip to give talks and/or staff our booth.

I only wish there were some event similar to LinuxFest but in the Seattle/Eastside area that we could climb aboard. Something like the old University of Washington Computer Fair (that seems to be long gone). I perused http://www.seattletechcalendar.com/ and http://www.geekwire.com/calendar/ but did not see any.

My dream location would be the new McMenamins development opening in Bothell. I sent a query to them today, but I'm guessing they won't be open in time for us. Perhaps the year after, in 2015.
http://www.futureofbothell.com/projects/anderson-school-building

--Basil