Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-07-02 07:49:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Simon

This is where I have to disagree with you. And at the risk of sounding like
a stuck record, a clear set of policy guidelines could avoid a lot of this.

PostgreSQL is not a church or charity. It is a group of individuals and
organisations banded together in a common cause: To develop and promote
software development that is based on an approach that is different from the
commercial business model. But don't have any doubts that it still needs to
play in the same pond and by many of the same rules as businesses.

And picking up on something that I think is essential to this thread: The
community consists of individuals AND organisations. Enterprise DB is part
of the community as is 2ndQuadrant and once:technologies.

For any business to succeed (including Oxfam) marketing and promotion is an
essential part of the mix. As is also the case with open source projects.
Every time we promote our businesses, we are also promoting PostgreSQL.

I WANT Enterprise DB to be successful, as I also want to see you and your
business succeed; and every other business/individual who is associated with
PostgreSQL. Because that is good for the project, the community and
ultimately, my business.

You include the name of your company on your emails to this forum. That is
self promotion. Who is the member of the community, you or your company? I
am not clear on your objections to commercial ties but they seem to be
inconsistent.

Please support the development of a Policy Guideline for corporate ties and
let¹s stop arguing about this topic. It is going nowhere. It¹s
counter-intuitive and it¹s counter-productive.

Happy Fourth of July to those of you who celebrate it. What a great time to
launch 8.4.

I aim to have the draft copy of the 8.4 brochure ready by the weekend for
comment.

> My stance on such marketing issues is well known. Many volunteer/charity
> organisations manage to operate without heavy marketing-related branding
> and I think it is a shame we cannot have reasonable restrictions on that
> also. e.g. Oxfam, Boy Scouts, Churches. These restrictions are normal
> and natural in all of the community organisations with which I have been
> associated, admittedly all of which are UK based. I see it as a sensible
> separation that allows people to work together more easily, not as part
> of a moral crusade, which I personally would not claim to lead.
>
> I'm sure many actions and reactions are predictable for both of us. I
> don't have a problem with being consistent in my views and values, or
> speaking out in favour or defence of them.

Regards

Rob Napier