Indexes and Inheritance

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Indexes and Inheritance
Date: 2006-12-07 21:24:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks to Erik, Jeff, & Richard for their help.

I have a further inheritance question: do child tables inherit the indexes
created on parent columns, or do they need to be specified separately for
each child table? I.e., created via CREATE INDEX.

I assume at least that the implicit index created by a primary key would
inherit, but I don't know if that assumption is safe.

Thanks,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.