Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?

From: James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
To: "FarjadFarid(ChkNet)" <farjad(dot)farid(at)checknetworks(dot)com>, 'Karsten Hilbert' <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date: 2016-01-06 14:28:48
Lists: pgsql-general

What are you talking about? What business structure? Commercial offerings can and will continue to exist in terms of custom features or consulting.

Firstly, it ceases to be a community version when there is a charge. Secondly, it would damage our community by shrinking the size to effectively none while a hard fork (or more) spring up and people migrate to them. Moreover, unless you change the license people will redistribute newer versions for free.

So, while I have no say so in any of this, I believe it would be a very short sighted move. There are many other ways that money for the oss/foundation can be raised if money or supplies are needed.

Jim