Re: pg_restore creates public schema?

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore creates public schema?
Date: 2022-10-07 20:31:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 6 Oct 2022, at 22:52, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On 10/6/22 12:46, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>>> On Oct 6, 2022, at 10:44, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Sadly, that VM doesn't have nearly enough disk space to hold the backup folder.
>> Use file mode, and stream the output via scp/ssh to a different machine?
>
> I thought of that, too. Unfortunately, the ssh version in RHEL 8.6 is sufficiently old that "three way" ssh (person at HostA wanting to transfer a file from Server1 to Server2) requires that port 22 be open from Server1 to Server2.

Bit of a wild idea, I haven’t used SSH tunnels in years, so a bit fuzzy on the details:

Can you create an SSH tunnel to the new machine from the VM, then pipe that to an SSH connection from a machine that does have enough space to dump?

And then vice versa to the new machine to restore? (Unless access to that one is easier of course)

Alban Hertroys