Re: persistent connection

From: "K Parker" <kparker(at)eudoramail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: persistent connection
Date: 2000-10-27 00:43:23
Lists: pgsql-general

>Of course, if that _is_ true, then PHP is all but useless as a layer
>between PostgreSQL and the Web, since the latency in starting a
>pg_Connect is truly horrible.

I haven't found that to be the case at all. I started out with pg_pconnect() just assuming that I needed to save the overhead, but we noticed no perceptible-to-the-user difference after we switched to plain pg_connect(). In case it matters, apache and pgsql are on the same box in our case, so the connection is via unix-domain sockets rather than tcp/ip.