Re: PL/PGSQL

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <jmartinez(at)uic(dot)es>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/PGSQL
Date: 2009-06-08 12:18:36
Lists: pgsql-general

mg>hopefully quick response

Hello everybody,

I'm Jordi from Spain, I'm new on this mailing list. I hope I could help
anybody in the future but now I new some help because I read a lot of
documentation but I can't find an answer.

I have two questions:

1.- Exception throwed by cast('yyyymmdd' as timestamp)

I do a cast conversion from a string to a timestamp. When I put a
bad date on the string, the cast throw an error on my PL/PGSQL but I
can't capture (I'm new). Which type of exception launch the cast
function?

I put a exception space on my function but I don't know which exception
I have ti capture:

EXCEPTION

WHEN exception_name THEN
MG>when VALUE_ERROR THEN
MG>DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Cannot convert STRING to DATE');

statements;

Which exception _name I have to write on my code?

2.- Number of days on February

I'm parsing a string with a date with format 'yyyymmdd' for testing if
it's a valid date.

I need to know if the day is correct for the month on the string, but
February is different for every year. How can I know if February have
28 or 29 days depending on the year?
MG>select TO_CHAR(DATE_COLUMN,'DD') FROM TABLE;

Thanks everybody and hello from a new user ;-)

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.