PL/PGSQL

From: Jordi Martínez <jmartinez(at)uic(dot)es>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/PGSQL
Date: 2009-06-08 09:30:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everybody,

I'm Jordi from Spain, I'm new on this mailing list. I hope I could help
anybody in the future but now I new some help because I read a lot of
documentation but I can't find an answer.

I have two questions:

*1.- Exception throwed by cast('yyyymmdd' as timestamp)

I do a cast conversion from a string to a timestamp*. When I put a bad
date on the string, the cast throw an error on my PL/PGSQL but I can't
capture (I'm new). *Which type of exception launch the cast function?*

I put a exception space on my function but I don't know which exception
I have ti capture:

EXCEPTION
WHEN exception_name THEN
statements;

Which exception _name I have to write on my code?
*2.- Number of days on February*

I'm parsing a string with a date with format 'yyyymmdd' for testing if
it's a valid date.

I need to know if the day is correct for the month on the string, but
February is different for every year. How can I know if February have 28
or 29 days depending on the year?

Thanks everybody and hello from a new user ;-)

Attachment Content-Type Size
jmartinez.vcf text/x-vcard 364 bytes