Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?

From: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Date: 2013-11-20 03:41:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Em 20/11/2013 01:30, Jeff Janes escreveu:

> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, Edson Richter wrote:
>
> Em 19/11/2013 22:29, Jeff Janes escreveu:
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Edson Richter
>> <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
>> 'edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com');>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, those optimizations I was talking about: having database
>> server store transaction log in high speed solid state disks
>> and consider it done while background thread will update data
>> in slower disks...
>>
>> There is no reason to wait for fsync in slow disks to
>> guarantee consistency... If database server crashes, then it
>> just need to "redo" log transactions from fast disk into
>> slower data storage and database server is ready to go (I
>> think this is Sybase/MS SQL strategy for years).
>>

>> Using a nonvolatile write cache for pg_xlog is certainly possible
>> and often done with PostgreSQL. It is not important that the
>> nonvolatile write cache is fronting for SSD, fronting for HDD is
>> fine as the write cache turns the xlog into pure sequential
>> writes and HDD should not have a problem keeping up.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jeff
> Hum... I agree about the tecnology (SSD x HDD, etc) - but may be I
> misunderstood, but I have read that to keep always safe data, I
> must use fsync, and as result every transaction must wait for data
> to be written in disk before returning as success.
>

> A transaction must wait for the *xlog* to fsynced to "disk", but
> non-volatile write cache counts as disk. It does not need to wait for
> the ordinary data files to be fsynced. Checkpoints do need to wait
> for the ordinary data files to be fsynced, but the checkpoint process
> is a background process and it can wait for that without impeding user
> processes.
>
> If the checkpointer falls far enough behind, then things do start to
> fall apart, but I think that this is true of any system. So you can't
> just get get a BBU for the xlog and ignore all other IO
> entirely--eventually the other data does need to reach disk, and if it
> gets dirtied faster than it gets cleaned for a prolonged period then
> things will freeze up.
>
> By using the approach I've described you will have fsync (and data
> will be 100% safe), but transaction is considered success once
> written in the transaction log that is pure sequencial (and even
> pre-allocated space, without need to ask OS for new files or new
> space) - and also no need to wait for slow operations to write
> data in data pages.
>
> Am I wrong?
>

> No user-facing process needs to wait for the data pages to fsync,
> unless things have really gotten fouled up.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
Ok, I still have one doubt (I'm learning a lot, tkx!):

What happens, then, if data has been commited (so it is in xlog), but it
is not in data pages yet, and it doesn't fit in memory buffers anymore:
how would PostgreSQL query data without having to wait for checkpoint
happend and data be available in data pages?

Regards,

Edson